Monday 6 April 2009

Potatotastic

I think sometimes potatoes can get a bit boring, so here are a few different ways to spice up your spuds.

First up - couldn't be more simple, I chunked up some cold jacket potatoes - they were just slightly undercooked (I really prefer waxy - estima or desiree as they hold their shape better) then fried them in a little oil and butter. Because they've been oven cooked before hand they go really nutty and sweet. They're fantastic with thick sliced home cooked ham and eggs. (They're really good as part of a fried breakfast too)

The next one is a bit of a summer dish really (well we are in Spring) I boiled up some new potatoes, when they were cool enough to handle I peeled off their little jackets then I poured over a dressing made from olive oil, lemon juice, Dijon mustard and Greek yoghurt - you need to do this straight away as the potatoes soak up the dressing nicely. Then I added some chopped dill, mint a few sliced Kalamata olives, spring onions and some cubes of feta.

For the third one, I fried a big onion in some oil and butter until caramelised, I then layered it with thinly sliced waxy potatoes and lots of seasoning. I Brushed the top with butter and baked it for about 45 mins to 1 hour at 180/gas 4.



We ate this with slow roasted shoulder of pork

Can I just point out that these meals were not all consumed in the same week - even so I think it's time for a cholesterol check.

5 comments:

  1. Great Post. I love a potato. Especially like the look of the new potato dish. Looks gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's got to be the best title for a post ever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The potato salad looks amazing. If they need a kick, sometimes use about a dessert spoon of capers roughly chopped. Good tatty recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're spot on Richard. The recipe does have caapers in it but I'm afraid I don't like them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for inspiring me. I'm so tired of the mash rut we're in at the moment...

    ReplyDelete