Wednesday 3 February 2010

Sausage Surprise


I love a good sausage. I'm a bit of a plain sausage girl - really good pork and a bit of herbage, leek if you must. None of your 'duck and cranberry' or 'lamb and apricot' thank you very much. This obviously doesn't include Toulouse or the lovely Italian sausages. I'm talking about a British banger.

So, on a trip to the farm shop I surprised Tiny by arriving home with some venison sausages. They were big, plump and looked very meaty and I knew that it wasn't going to do them justice just having them with mash and fried onions. No, that would be wrong. I thought how about doing a sort of sausage bourguignon? lardons of smoked bacon, garlic, time, red wine, bit of chicken stock, garlic and finishing off with some sauteed mushrooms (couldn't be arsed to do the baby onions)



With a big pile of mash they were superb. Big meaty sausages in a rich, garlicy, red wine gravy. Tiny's verdict? Apparently I can surprise him with a sausage any time I like.


8 comments:

  1. Never tried Venison Sausages - this looks like something my hubby would love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As long as he can suprise you with a sausage in return I suppose!! Climbing out of the gutter....... I love all types of different sausages - Bangers and mash is a family fave around here. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look great! I love good sausages but, like you, I don't like the over-fussy ones. These look great and the sauce sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like my snags 'pure' too but venison are a worthy exception...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmm that does look good. I do like a nice sausage casserole myself. Just the job in cold weather.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sausage casserole is one of my all-time favourites.

    Incidentally, did you know that, in Eastenders, Stacey Slater's mum Jean's speciality is also called Sausage Surprise? They've never really disclosed what it is though ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Proper Real Food nothing fancy heading to our butcher around the corner who sells venison sausages made here in Wales :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. These looked so good I was inspired to do the same last night. Thanks!
    Louise

    ReplyDelete